Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Veg Stew - Kerala Style

I had never had Kerala stew till my sister had ordered some the other day. I was hooked. It felt especially good since I was coming down with a cold. It is also very easy to make.

Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or coconut oil if you can handle it) in a pan

When hot, add the following:
4-5 black-peppercorns
3 cloves
1 brown cardamom (badi elaichi)
A few curry leaves
2 green chillies, slit

Then add
1 cup chopped mix veg (carrots, green beans, cauliflower, peas) - I used some frozen mix veg

When the vegetables are tender, add
2 cups of coconut milk
1 stick of cinnamon
Salt to taste

Bring to boil. If you want the stew to be lighter in consistency, then add some water. To make it thicker, add some cashew paste.

Garnish with chopped coriander, and serve with appams (or steamed dosas).



No comments:

Post a Comment